- Storage of log files. S3 can store large volumes of log files. They contain information about internal and external events, such as data about site visitors.
- Storage according to Federal Law-152. Object storages from domestic providers allow you to store data in compliance with the law on protecting personal data. The service provider is responsible for meeting the requirements.
- Storage of audio, video, and photo content Files in S3 can be accessed by URL. Therefore, object storages use video hosting, photo banks, and photo stocks.
- Access for millions of users. Due to its architecture, S3 storage can process many requests simultaneously while access speed does not decrease. This is useful if you want to distribute files such as audio or video to millions of users.
- Data backup and recovery. Object storage is highly reliable and can be integrated with other tools. This allows them to store backup copies of individual computers and the entire IT infrastructure.
- Development, testing, and reducing the time to launch the project. S3 storage can be transformed into a code repository – store files with code, its versions, and backups. Integrating the service into a web or mobile application is also easy.
- Collaboration with files. Object cloud storage is optimal for sharing work files: it is more profitable and convenient than your server.
- Electronic document management. Versioning, tagging, no file size limits, HTTP/HTTPS access, and object expiration – these features allow you to use S3 for workflow.
- We are working with Big Data. S3 storage can store unstructured data for further analysis.
Scenarios For Using DBaaS
- Deployment of OLTP and OLAP systems. Cloud databases can be used with OLTP and OLAP systems to process and analyze data. Databases for OLAP – Greenplum and ClickHouse, for OLTP – MySQL, PostgreSQL, Postgres Pro.
- Emergency recovery. Cloud databases can host backups and replicas of local databases for fast disaster recovery. It is more reliable and cheaper than storage on physical media.
- Application Development. Deploying a desktop database development environment takes several days. DBaaS is already preconfigured; you can start developing in a few minutes.
- Testing features and updates. A cloud database can be quickly deployed and then removed. Therefore, DBaaS is suitable if an innovation needs to be tested on a test bench.
S3 object storage and DBaaS services are the most popular solutions for storing files in the cloud. Each of them has its advantages and dozens of application scenarios. But they differ in key parameters and are used for different tasks.
It is better to choose DBaaS if:
- Transactions, Updates, and Insert are needed;
- It is important to minimize delays;
- The data is structured;
- The amount of data is predictable and not measured in petabytes.
It is better to choose S3 storage if:
- the data is not structured;
- you need reliable distributed storage according to the Service model;
- It is important to save on storage.