A reputation management strategy is created for each project individually. But for its basis, one of the four basic SERM tactics is used:
- We are creating a reputation from scratch. Relevant for new companies and products. The main task of SERM in such a situation is to increase the brand’s presence on various sites and create its overall positive image from scratch.
- Neutralization of negativity. It is relevant for companies whose search results include primarily negative reviews in the TOP search results. Their neutralization is done by posting positive content, removing unfounded negativity, displacing resources with negative reviews from the TOP, and publishing official responses to negativity.
- It is maintaining a positive reputation. This is relevant if the company’s image has naturally formed positively (this is extremely rare). In such a situation, the main task of SERM specialists is to maintain a positive reputation and maintain the company’s activity on the Internet so that users do not have the question, “Is the company working in principle?” (this happens when new information does not appear about a brand for a long time).
- It is changing the balance towards positive reviews. This is relevant if the brand has a neutral reputation: there are approximately the same negative and positive reviews. The disadvantage of this image is that users cannot form a clear opinion about the company. Therefore, in this case, it is essential to increase the volume of positive information and strengthen the brand’s reputation in search engines.
The appropriate tactics for working with reputation in a particular case are determined only after thoroughly analyzing the company’s current Internet image. Unfortunately, there is no universal “pill” for all brands.
Who Needs SERM
If ORM, without any exaggeration, is necessary for absolutely all companies, then SERM may only be needed by those brands that:
- Already have generated search results;
- We are faced with black PR and a flow of negative reviews that does not stop;
- Faced with a large amount of false negative information in search results,
- Launching a new product/project/service;
- We encountered an overcrowding of search results with negativity (there are more negative reviews than positive ones).
In this case, the direction of the business does not matter. SERM will be relevant for all niches:
- Recruitment agencies;
- Medical services;
- Legal agencies;
- The shops;
- Cosmetology centres;
- Real estate agencies, etc.
Moreover, reputation management needs to be managed not only by companies (manufacturers, stores, brands) but also by individual public figures (realtors, coaches, lawyers).
Pros And Cons Of SERM
The main benefits of SERM include:
- The ability to create the desired image of the company, regardless of its current reputation and level of development;
- Increasing the conversion of the company’s website by improving its appearance;
- Growing the loyalty of target customers to a product, service, or offer;
- Reducing reputational risks.
Also, the advantages of SERM include the ability to improve the company’s services and products. Reputation management involves constant monitoring of all brand mentions. By promptly studying negative reviews, you can change those nuances that do not suit existing clients and buyers.
SERM has only two disadvantages:
- Not an immediate effect of changing the online image of a brand (the first results are noticeable only 2-4 months after the start of work);
- The need for constant monitoring and optimization of results (work on reputation must be continuous).
It is critical to comply with two conditions. The first is complexity. For a more significant effect, SERM should be supplemented with SEO, SMM and other promotion tools—secondly, a professional approach. Reputation management should only be entrusted to specialists with sufficient experience in this field. Otherwise, you can only “kill” your company, ultimately losing its worthy position in the TOP of search engines.
Instead Of Conclusions
So, let’s summarize. SERM is search engine reputation management. It is necessary for all companies, brands and individuals interested in increasing profits. It is essential to entrust such work only to experts. SERM-agency Loksmarkt Agency specialists are always ready to carry it out exceptionally. We know how to make a company’s image as attractive and selling as possible in the shortest possible time. You can get more information during a personal consultation!