Scheme 1 (Hacking An Account Or Channel For Fake Messages On Behalf Of The Valid Owner)
This scheme is similar to a two-way system (in contrast to the previously described, where the result of fraud was the fraudsters immediately receiving money). Things are more complicated here. First, fraudsters take possession of such an “asset” as an account or channel (by clicking on a fake link from scheme one or using other “tools”) and then seek to fraudulently obtain money from channel subscribers or friends of the account owner. Subscribers, friends trust the channel administrator or the account owner, and it is easier to fall for a “divorce”.
Having taken possession of a “white” Telegram channel, or account, scammers untie the number of the actual owner from the track (history) and send out false messages on his behalf with commercial offers, requests for money transfers for former account owners who allegedly got into a difficult life situation, etc.
Another option for fraudsters to earn money on stolen channels (accounts) is to return the track to the owner for cash.
Scheme 2 (Fake Accounts Of Well-Known Bloggers, Trademarks, And Organizations)
Fraudsters create a channel or account whose name is similar and “visually merges” with a real account or channel of a famous person or brand. As a rule, this is the substitution of one letter for another, similar (for example, replacing a small Latin L with a large Latin I, replacing d with b), rearranging letters, etc. For example, instead of @adidas, an inattentive user is slipped a @adibas or instead of @litvintm (with the first small Latin L), a @Iitvintm is declined (where the first letter is a large Latin i).
Well, messages are sent to users subscribed to natural channels on their behalf but from fake accounts similar in spelling to the originals. Well, then variations of Schemes 1 and 2 are used.
How To Protect Yourself From Being Deceived By Scammers On Telegram
- Try to avoid clicking on links inside the Telegram messenger itself. If you need to follow such a link or want to, copy the link and paste it into the address bar of any browser. Carefully study the address of the site to which the link leads. At the slightest doubt, do not click on the link.
- Suppose you are in a hurry to pay for a purchase under any plausible pretexts (create a stir, the product runs out, the product will become more expensive, etc.), psychologically feel pressure and do not give time to think. In that case, it is better to refuse such a purchase.
- Enable two-factor authentication to log in to your Telegram account or channel. Then, for authorization, you will need to enter a username and password and an additional code that will be sent to the email address specified during registration or to a mobile phone number. In this case, it will be much more difficult for fraudsters to hack an account or channel (if at all)
- Resist the temptation to buy goods at clearly low prices relative to market prices. Complimentary cheese, as you know, happens only in a mousetrap.
- Search on the network and study reviews about the Telegram channels on which you will make any purchase. Thoughts and opinions of people who have already “purchased” there will help you make the right decision.
These tips will not help protect you from scammers in Telegram and their schemes (which are constantly being improved and changing) 100%. But it is possible and necessary to minimize the risks of being deceived by Telegram scammers with the help of these tips.